To know a bit more about the project
A software for sustainable development projects
What is it ?
Linea21 is a free software dedicated to territorial authorities and private companies to assist them for communicating on their agenda21 and others sustainable development initiatives) and help them assessing their policy.
It is a web-based tool supporting sustainable development strategy and offering a top-down communication support, from institutions to citizen. It also empowers citizen (bottom-up), giving them a chance to express themselves and participate to thematics work groups. It promotes and strengthens the dialogue and the cooperation between all stakeholders.
Finally, it offers local authorities a safe way to assess their sustainable development policy through a strategic dashboard and monitoring indicators.
For who ?
The software aims to target institutions, elected people, local and territorial authorities but also private companies and simple citizen.
Linea21 can also be useful to schools, hospitals and others institutions involved in Corporate Social Responsibility.
Linea21 tries to be an answer to 3 main goals of sustainable development strategies :
- Communicate and Publish to Inform ;
- Make people aware of sustainable development issues to promote Involvement ;
- Evaluate to Improve performances and offer Transparency.
Is Linea21 available in English?
Yes, it is! Follow the link to download it!.
Who is doing that ?
Linea21 as been created in 2004 by Anthony Besseau & Simon Georget.
Since 2011, the software is maintained by Intermezzo, a French company run by Simon Georget.
- The Spanish translation has been done by Marta Rada Arias, Alejandro Villar Fernández et Alberto Lezcano Lastra del Instituto Cántabro de Estadística : www.icane.es.
- The Italian translation has been done by Alessandra Rossi.
Web standard and free technology
Promoting free software
Linea21 is a free software and uses free components and others open-source applications!
Linea21 is a web based application. Thus, a web server is required to be able to run the software.
- language : PHP > 5.2+ with GD, mysql, libxml & mb_string (optional)
- databases : MySQL > 5.0+
Web standards conformity
The software is designed in respect of W3C recommendations and tries to follow web coding good practices. It ensures compatibility to any web browsers, it gives enhanced accessibility to handicapped (or with disabilities) persons and makes the browsing possible from alternatives devices (phone, PDA, …). Finally, it makes the content structured on semantic basis.
What about the license ?
Linea21 is a free software libre distributed under the GNU GPLv3 license.
The Free Software Foundation states that a software can be considered as free software if people who receive a copy have the following four freedoms :
- Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
- Freedom 1: The freedom to study and modify the program.
- Freedom 2: The freedom to copy the program so you can help your neighbor.
- Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
Please, refer to the following website to read the full term of the license : http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html.