Know more about the project
A software for sustainable development projects
What is it?
Linea21 is a free software dedicated to assisting territorial authorities and private companies in communicating about their Agenda21 and other sustainable development initiatives and in helping them to assess their policies.
It is a web-based tool which supports sustainable development strategies and offers top-down communication from institutions to citizens. It also empowers citizens (bottom-up), giving them a chance to express themselves and participate in thematics workgroups. It promotes and strengthens dialogue and cooperation between all stakeholders.
Finally, it offers local authorities an efficient way to evaluate their sustainable development policies through a strategic dashboard and monitoring indicators.
Who is it for?
The software targets institutions, elected officials, local and territorial authorities but also private companies and ordinary citizens.
Linea21 can also be used by schools, hospitals and others institutions involved in Corporate Social Responsibility.
What it is useful for?
Linea21 tries to answer 3 main goals of sustainable development strategies:
- Communicate and Publish in order to Inform ;
- Raise awareness on sustainable development issues in order to promote Involvement ;
- Evaluate in order to Improve performances and offer Transparency.
Is Linea21 available in English?
Yes, it is! Follow the link to download it!.
Who’s in charge?
Linea21 was created in 2004 by Anthony Besseau & Simon Georget.
Since 2011, the software has been maintained by Intermezzo, a French company run by Simon Georget.
- The Spanish translation was made by Marta Rada Arias, Alejandro Villar Fernández and Alberto Lezcano Lastra from the Instituto Cántabro de Estadística : www.icane.es.
- The Italian translation was made by Alessandra Rossi.
An open-source and standard web technology
Promoting open-source software
Linea21 is a free, open-source software and uses free components and other open-source applications!
Linea21 is a web-based application. Thus, a web server is required to be able to run the software.
- language : PHP > 5.2+ with GD, mysql, libxml & mb_string (optional)
- databases : MySQL > 5.0+
Conformity to web standards
The software is designed respecting W3C recommendations and tries to follow web coding good practices. It ensures compatibility to any web browser, it provides enhanced accessibility to people with disabilities and makes browsing possible from alternatives devices (phone, PDA…). Finally, it structures content on a semantic basis.
What about the license?
Linea21 is a free software distributed under the GNU GPLv3 license.
The Free Software Foundation states that a software can be considered as a free software if people who receive a copy benefit from the following four freedoms:
- Freedom 0: Freedom to run the program for any purpose.
- Freedom 1: Freedom to study and modify the program.
- Freedom 2: Freedom to copy the program so that you can help your neighbor.
- Freedom 3: Freedom to improve the program, and release your enhancements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
Please refer to the following website to read the full terms of the license: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html.